Comets taken to overtime, lose to Lancaster

James Nosek | Staff Writer

The Mason varsity football game went into overtime against Lancaster High School on a touchdown pass with only a minute left in the game. However, it wasn’t enough to win their home opener against LHS as they lost 41-35, as the Comets drop to 1-1 on the season.

The last drive of the game lead the Comets down the field and into the red zone with 1:12 minutes left to play in regulation, there were no timeouts remaining; they faced a 4th and 12 and in need of a score.

Mason quarterback JD Sprague threw a fade to the back, right side of the end zone, barely getting over the Lancaster corner back and  into the hands of wide receiver Kevin Neihoff for the 19-yard touchdown  pass, tying the game and taking the game into overtime.

“We had to do everything possible to try and score,” Sprague said. “I just threw [the ball] out there; Kevin ran under it and made a good play on it.”

Sprague’s late fourth quarter touchdown was one of five overall touchdowns; two passing and three rushing touchdowns. He finished the game with 251 all purpose yards as well; 190 of them throwing.

Brian Castner said the Sprague played a good game in the immense pressure on the field.

“[JD] is playing very well right now,” Castner said. “In that type of game and atmosphere when a kid is doing that, those are big time plays.”

In overtime after Mason was unsuccessful to convert on their field goal attempt, Lancaster would take advantage. Lancaster scored on a six-yard touchdown run by junior Ethan Bond to win the game. The Golden Gales scored all six touchdowns rushing on 432 yards.

The Comets have given up a combined 69 points the last two weeks. Castner said that the main issue with the defense is less about technical defensive schemes, but more about not playing fundamentally.

“We need to tackle better [and] go back to the fundamentals of our defense that was there last year,” Castner said. “We are far from it until we figure out how to tackle.”

After leading 28-14 early in the third quarter, the Comets would lose their lead after giving up three straight touchdowns. Mason didn’t score a touchdown in the second half until the touchdown pass with a minute left in the game.

“When you let a team of that caliber hang around, they are going to take advantage of our miscues and that is exactly what they did,” Castner said. “We let a team who traveled two hours [to play us] come in and take something away from us.”